Thursday, May 13, 2010

DIY deoderant

I've been wanting to make my own deodorant for a few years now. I finally took the plunge.






Posted by Picasa


I found this cute little glass jar at a community yard sale last weekend. When I saw it I knew exactly what I was going to do with it. (You could use a baby food jar.)
  • I took about 2 Tablespoons of Corn starch, 1 Tablespoon of Baking soda, 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil, a squirt of the super sensitive California baby lotion and a few drops of lavender oil. I mixed it up into a smooth consistency. This is not an exact science; Use whatever lotion or essential oil you have on hand. 

I do tend to have chronic yeast problems (thrush when breastfeeding), so I was worried about how I would do with the corn starch, since that tends to feed the yeast. As I had hoped, the virgin coconut oil and lavender oil I added kept the yeast under control. Coconut oil is the only thing I have found to kill my thrush. Not even diflucan was able to help. It has been a lifesaver. This deodorant has been put it to the test.

When I first started to use this recipe, I was only expecting a deodorant. I have been pleasantly surprised with how dry I have been too. I assume that I should attribute that to the baking soda. I'm happy to say I don't smell, not even of coconuts. 

Do you make your own deodorant? What are your favorite ingredients? And if you don't make your own deodorant; what's stopping you?

7 comments:

  1. cool! I hope it works for you.
    love the jars too.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting! never thought about making deoderant! i hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the cornstarch proves to be a problem for you, just skip it. I just mix baking soda in a little coconut oil in my hand then apply. Works great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh, thanks for this! I'll have to try it. I've been really disliking using deod lately, and not enjoying pondering the effects it's having on my body. This sounds like a nice alternative to the store-bought "naturals" that seem to do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as using olive oil instead of the coconut oil, I'm not sure how that would work. If you do try, I would suggest using much less then what I used of the coconut oil. And you may way to add more essential oils so you dont smell like salad dressing. ;)
    Hope that helps you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That ROCKS!!!!! I have all the stuff to make my own deoderant (waiting to run out of the thing I have now, which lasts forever because I (gasp) hardly use it... much to the chagrin of my brother who visits regularly LOL Anyway, I hadn't thought of adding a scent! Thank you!! :))

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Please take a minute to let me know you stopped by. :)